Friday, November 22, 2013

Thanks Giving


My heart is heavy with realization of the fleeting nature of human relationships and the unreliability of certain conditions of life in which we think we find security. I lost many coworkers yesterday to corporate layoffs—3 in my own department and more across our headquarters. You don’t expect to return to your desk, morning coffee in hand, to find your coworker leaving. For good. I didn’t even know she was leaving leaving until she was gone. And she was only the first. We lost 2 more before noon, and more tears were flowing and cubicles being emptied than work being done for the rest of the day.



We say how important people are and how the invaluable the “stuff” of life is compared to the relationships we build and the people we know. To know that in your head is good; to learn it in your heart is life-altering.  This may turn out to be the most meaningful Thanksgiving season I’ve known until now because it has been pressed upon my heart maybe more than ever how valuable the relationships I have are. I was sick a couple weeks ago for several days, and my husband spent day after day going to the store, cooking comfort food, cleaning the house, and taking care of my every need—even staying home from work to look after me on his birthday. I cried in his arms over feeling so loved and cherished, and I am still not over the awe I experienced from the sacrifices he made for me. I don’t ever want to be.



You never know when your job may be taken from you, your car may be wrecked, your house may be burgled or burned down. Those are terrible things. But then you never know when your coworker may leave and not come back, or your loved one may drive and not come home. The people we know and love are the true fabric of this life. When we truly see them, it is inevitable that thanksgiving will become not just a seasonal tradition, but a condition of the heart.


To my selfless husband, my loving families, my faithful friends: I love you more now than I ever have. And may I learn to love you and those who are strangers to me more and more the longer I live.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I want Thanksgiving to become a condition of my heart too. Much love to you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...