Friday, December 12, 2014

A New Perspective on the Holy Birth

I was reading Luke's account of Jesus' conception this morning, and I gained a new perspective on the significance of Jesus' birth to a human mother. I read Luke 1:31 where Gabriel told Mary, "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus." With the experience of pregnancy and birth fresh in my mind, I stopped when I saw the words conceive and bear. I thought of all that is involved in pregnancy and birth, and was overwhelmed that this holy, royal, perfect being came to us in such a frankly disgusting way. I've always known in my mind that it was an act of humility for Jesus to become flesh, to be born and dwell among us, but I gained a new appreciation for it this year.

We often remark on how Jesus was born in a stable and placed in a manger, which was a symbol of complete humility and lowliness. And that's true. But even if he were born in a castle or a golden temple, he was still born. He came through a woman's birth canal, in blood and mucus and all manner of gross bodily fluids that are involved in birth. No certain location, no matter how royal or pleasant, can sterilize or "pretty up" the birth process. It's just a repulsive thing. Beautiful in a certain way, but repulsive. There is a reason partners faint in the hospital when a woman gives birth! Levi saw and was involved far more than he expected to be with Clayton's birth, and while he didn't get sick or faint (he was a champ), he said he never wants to see such a thing again.

I would love to hear Mary's birth story. To hear what emotions she experienced, knowing who she was giving birth to. I wonder if she had morning sickness during her pregnancy? High blood pressure? (Although she probably wouldn't even have known if she did. Ha) How long did she labor, and how did she survive the flood of emotions when not just a son was born, but when the God-Man was born? Maybe someday we will get to hear her story. Or maybe at that point it won't even matter anymore. But for now, I'll continue to marvel at Christ's incarnation through the eyes of a new mother, thanking him endlessly for his humble sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. great perspective of some of the things Mary might have encountered. You have given me something to think about again when I read the birth of Christ story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...