Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pregnancy Diaries // Entry 2

Dear Blog,

I don't know how it's been over a month since my last entry in the Pregnancy Diaries. Time is flying and there is so much to record. My little boy may never really care about any of this, but Mama will be glad that she can look back and remember.

I was 5 weeks along that day I found out, then on Thursday, at 5w4d the nausea hit me. For the next several weeks, I survived on smoothies, bananas, oatmeal, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and cream of wheat. The whole first trimester seemed an eternity of struggle and discomfort. My hunger was insatiable, and the nausea got worse the hungrier I got. But of course, my desire to eat ANYTHING was non-existent, so it was a maddening battle all day and night. Weeks 8-10 got a little better, at 11 weeks I had a couple bouts of vomiting, the next few weeks were a little better again (and overall way better than the early days), then another bout of vomiting at 16 weeks. Things really got better at 18 weeks, and other than the occasional regression due to stress or exhaustion, I'm a lot better now. I'm still not my normal self and am a pickier eater, but it's far more manageable. Overall, things could have been so much worse.

Speaking of eating, people used to think I eat a lot. And I did, but not 3 breakfasts, 2 lunches, dinner, and a bowl of cereal before bed. Sometimes with snacks in between. And if I miss a meal or get too far off schedule, I start feeling sick and it gets really hard to eat. So basically my life has to be scheduled around food, and while you may think I'd be ok with that, it's actually exhausting, and I'm at the point where I wish I would just never get hungry. But all for the cause, right?

Cravings? For a while, pasta pasta pasta. Not so much now, and thankfully my desire for beef has finally started to return. I went a few months without a steak and almost had an existential crisis.

Weight gain? 25 lb. so far, at nearly 26 weeks pregnant. I had lost some weight from having my wisdom teeth pulled out a couple weeks before finding out I was pregnant, so I remind myself of that on days when I feel like a fat pig. Also, on any given day I will be about 5 lb heavier at the end of the day than I was at the beginning, which I've never experienced before, so that's new. People are telling me I'm "all belly," but I can tell have more thigh, hip, and backside than I ever have in my life. Hopefully that excess will come off postpartum, but I secretly hope the wider hips stick around. It will make shopping for pants SO much easier!

Overall I don't really like being pregnant. I miss my muscle tone and range of motion. Things hurt and clothes don't fit and it takes way too much effort to do things like get off the couch or out of the car or to roll over in bed. I'm not one of those people who basks in the magical delight of pregnancy, and I never thought I would be. All the more power to you who are! I'm ready for this child to vacate, but we still have 14+ weeks to go, so we'll keep taking it one day at a time.

Mama at 24 weeks pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...